The Weekend Hunger Initiative (WHI), Hobbs backpack program, a non profit organization in Hobbs, NM, delivers bags of food to Hobbs ISD students who are food insecure over the weekends. Anyone can volunteer and help provide food for kids. Our volunteer opportunities are endless. You can help us sort through food donations, pack bags of food for hungry children, help with inventory and even deliver selected bags to schools.
Hobbs Backpack Program solely focuses on the weekend nutritional needs of children in Hobbs. We are the centralized contact point for referrals, we supply the location to pack the backpacks and provide assistance to partner organizations.
Many families are finding it difficult to live here. Rent has increased dramatically; utilities, food and gas have all gone up. Even some of our middle class cannot afford to live in Hobbs.
These children do not have any choices; they cannot drive themselves to the store for food or even ask for help. Many of them have parents who are working, but just do not make enough to make ends meet. These children need a hand up!
Our hungry children need your help!
Please do not hesitate to contact WHI Hobbs if you have questions or concerns.
We are currently serving over 1100 students ever Friday .
1. New Mexico is number one in the country for child food insecurity (meaning having little to no food on the weekends).
2. 23% of Lea County's children are food insecure.
3. Of these children, 29% do not qualify for the school food program.
4. Of households with children, nearly 60% report utilizing the school breakfast/lunch program, but the households they live in still require additional help with food assistance.
5. 44% of households with children report their family was not eating enough because they could not afford food.
6. A USDA study indicates that under-nutrition experiences by children during periods of growth impacts their behavior, their school performance, and their overall cognitive development.
Thank you for your support of helping feed our hungry children in Hobbs for the last 10 years it is appreciated! You truly gave a HELP UP! We could have not done it with out our hometown heros .